Friday, March 14, 2008

YA

I am thinking about writing a YA novel and am reading YA fantasy to get a sense of the market.

I like LeGuin and Diana Wynne Jones and Terry Pratchett, though I think the Tiffany Aching series is starting to repeat itself. The Pullman trilogy is impressive, though I'm not sure I really like it. But I am finding it difficult to find other authors. I tried Troll Bridge by Jane Yolen and her son. I just wasn't interested, and the Minnesota dialect didn't sound right to me. I'm currently reading Inkheart.

What makes LeGuin and Jones and Pratchett good? Really skillful writing, intelligence, humor in the case of Jones and Pratchett, remarkable imaginations, likable characters, sanity. All three of these authors seem like sane, good hearted people.

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg L Johnson said...

Hey Eleanor,

If you'd like to mix a little science fiction in with the fantasy, try James Van Pelt's Summer of the Apocalypse. As the title suggests, it's a post-apocalyptic look at the life of a boy growing up as a survivor of a world-wide plague, at times reminiscent of Earth Abides.

See you at Minicon?

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in to reading (actually listening to audio book)Diane Duane's Wizard series for a while.
Currently reading the Pendragon series by D J MacHale.
Their is an Australian author that wrote a Celtic fantasy series that was quite good. It's in the adult fiction but it could definitely be YA.
I will have to find the books at home and post the author later.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate Forsyth is the author.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Shana Pederson said...

Hi Eleanor: Dante being a YA we thought his reading tastes might help. Of course the formulic nature of Harry Potter is was one he loved. He and most of his friends only got through the first Pullman; it was too much, its actually pretty heavy (preachy) and the language is akward given what they are taught (or not) in school these days. He loved the word play in Lemony Snicket, and said the Spiderwick Chronicals were the most fun since Harry Potter.
That said; he tore through Ray Bradbury this past fall.
Anyway. Much love from the Pederson -Searcy Clan!

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home