Wednesday, April 01, 2009

March Haiku

I am trying to write haiku about this spring and have come up with the following:
I.


Early spring –
the leafless birch trees shine
like white bones or teeth.


II.


Ads for whiter teeth
gleam in the margins
of economics blogs.


III.


The weather warms.
Banks crumble
like calving glaciers.


IV.


People brace
for hard times.
Bankers show white teeth.

I like number I and number III.

Number II is true. The blogs I read do have ads for whiter teeth, illustrated with full sets of yellow and white choppers. This is very creepy in the middle of a discussion of Wall Street stealing everything not nailed down.

I feel I am faced with the leers of financiers.

More is needed, but I can't find anything that works.

Maybe I could use a couple of stanzas of Solidarity Forever, the fine old union song:
They have taken untold millions that they never toiled to earn,
But without our brain and muscle not a single wheel can turn.
We can break their haughty power, gain our freedom when we learn
That the Union makes us strong.


In our hands is placed a power greater than their hoarded gold;
Greater than the might of armies, magnified a thousand-fold.
We can bring to birth a new world from the ashes of the old.
For the Union makes us strong.

1 Comments:

Blogger El Gato Negro said...

I like IV, it made me think in all the money they´re taking now from most of our goverments and it made afraid about what are they going to do with it.
By the way, I´m from Argentine^^and I had been lurking in you blog for months now. It´s about time I told you I like what you write here. Thanks!

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home