Monday, May 04, 2009

Daily Report

I had an appointment over in Minneapolis this morning. On the way back, I stopped at the downtown Barnes & Noble and bought the new novel in C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner series, also a copy of Poetry magazine.

It's a sunny day. The trees are leafing out nicely. Lawns are green. I've seen dandelions, crocuses and some flowering trees. Most years, there are a couple of perfect weeks in the Twin Cities, when the sky is blue and clear and the lilacs are blooming. We are not there yet, but we are getting close.

In about 45 minutes I will take off to the Y for a meeting with a fitness trainer, which will be demanding, but satisfying. Then a nice shower and new clothes and an afternoon spent reading, while sunlight pours in around me.

Well, not quite. I should dust and get out the Roomba and check the various online job listings. But then I can read; and because it is spring, the sunlight will still be there.

I keeping remembering how lucky I am. I can pay my bills with unemployment and some extra money I have in the bank. I can still afford to buy books and magazines -- in moderation, anyway. There is some pressure, because I would like to find a job; and and Unemployment requires that I look seriously. But it's not the pressure of a mortgage to be paid and kids to feed.

I feel pain and sorrow at losing my job, but not terror. Something will turn up, as Mr. Micawber always said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home