Thursday, October 21, 2010

Elizabeth Moon Again

I just heard that Elizabeth Moon's invitation to Wiscon has been withdrawn. As I just wrote to the Wiscon concomm:
I think you did the right thing. Her remarks were simply too awful, and the history of prejudice in the US is way too long and ugly. It must be opposed in the strongest possible way.

I also think this must have been a very difficult, painful decision. I am glad I didn't have to make it. I expect you will be getting flack, because this is a situation where you are going to make people angry, no matter what you do.

Some people may decide to not attend the con. I expect a lot more will come, who have been thinking of not coming next year.

I had a talk about Wiscon with friends yesterday, and one friend said she was most likely not going to attend, though she did every year, because she didn't want to be part of an ugly fight.

Now she can go. I had been planning to go all along, but I'd been worried about what I should do at the con.

There may still be some acrimony and intense discussion. But now the con will not be honoring someone who had expressed deeply prejudiced and wrong opinions about Muslims and the nature of the US, a country -- we should remember -- that has always been multicultural and is becoming more so; and where people have a right to not fit in and not conform to the opinions a self-proclaimed majority.

Remember Roger Williams? Remember fandom?

P.S. As was to be expected, Wiscon and SF3 are getting some angry comments about this. I don't think it's censorship to refuse to honor someone whose opinions appall you.

3 Comments:

Blogger tate hallaway said...

I just found out about this and posted a small notice about it over at Wyrdsmiths.

I think it was the right decision too. I also think it much have been hard. But being a convention like WisCON ought to mean something.

1:26 PM  
Blogger tate hallaway said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Foxessa said...

Eleanor -- I cut and paste a comment I made elsewhere that linked to this entry of yours:

"I don't have anywhere near enough contact with Eleanor, or know her nearly well enough, but I do know in every way she's consistently one of the most wonderful people I do know."

I should have included that much of this is due to your great sense of balance.

Love, C.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home