Thursday, November 17, 2011

Occupy Again!!!

The blog Crooked Timber has a thread on Occupy right now. I wrote the following:
OWS is a work in progress. I have no idea how it will turn out. I don’t have advice. I bring coffee to the local Occupy group and wait and see. The Occupiers are raising the right issues and getting national attention.

Second, they are not a political party, vanguard or otherwise, they are a movement, like Civil Rights and the Anti-War Movement. I think we need to look at those for comparison re action and goals.

Third, in New York especially, OWS was/is creating an alternative society with housing, food, medical care, a library. It was/is a society that works by concensus, and it welcomed everyone, even the homeless. This strikes me as hugely important. A new world in the shill of the old. This is why the camps matter, and this may be why the camps are being destroyed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home