Saturday, April 09, 2016

Cleaning Shelves

Today is cleaning bookcases. Take out books, dust them, dust the shelves, put the books back. Over and over and over. I don't expect to finish today. When I get tired, I will go to the coffee shop and work on the last unrevised story. Then -- thank goodness -- I can get serious about the new work. House cleaning and cleaning up stories. So much fun.
*
The books I've kept through many moves are important in one way or another. I pull out a book by my father on the art of Conrad Marca-Relli and remember things Marca-Relli said in the 1960s. He was a clever man.
*
Two shelves took an hour. At this rate, the living room will take ten hours, and one bedroom three hours. I will not get done today, especially since so much of my life is in these books. I have to stop and look and remember.
*
Confucius. I haven’t read him for a long time. Tu Fu. Li Po. Han Shan. I've never read The Water Margin. (That was the East Asian shelf.)


2 Comments:

Blogger delagar said...

For almost five years now, we've been planning to straight out our bookshelves -- dust the books, prune the books, put the remaining books back in order. (They are all terribly out of order now.)

Maybe this summer.

11:33 AM  
Blogger delagar said...

*straighten

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home