Friday, July 05, 2013

Ruins

This is from a facebook discussion of global warming and coastal cities being at risk:
I have a great description in a current story of waves rushing between tall buildings in lower Manhattan... The buildings have been abandoned, except by squatters... One more thing to finish. I have three stories going at once now. Either my writing pace has to pick up, or my imagination has to slow down.

I'm not complaining. This is a lot better than the periods when I feel I have nothing to write.

I'm not sure what the appeal of destroying cities is. I've lived in New York, Detroit and the Twin Cities and put all three into stories as ruins. I've also lived in Honolulu, Paris and outside Philadelphia and not felt any need (as far as I can remember) to reduce them to ruins.
I think I have ruined the cities I love best. In Detroit's case, of course, it has more of less happened. The other cities are still with us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home