Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Visit to the Doctor

I had a medical appointment yesterday. On my way I stopped at a coffee shop where I am a fairly regular customer.

"What is going on?" the shop owner asked. "I was in downtown Minneapolis yesterday, and there were hardly any clerks in Macy's, and hardly any customers either."

I decided not to mention the economy, collected my coffee and went on my way.

The doctor wants to see me again in three months. So I went to the front desk to make an appointment.

The intake person said, "I can't make an appointment for you in August." It turns out their department is being consolidated with three other departments in the multi-clinic system and moving to a new location. A third of the staff is being laid off, including some doctors. They don't know yet who is getting laid off.

"We're all just waiting," she said.

"Doctors getting laid off," I said. "This is some economy."

She said, "I think most of the patients coming in now are unemployed."

We talked a bit about unemployment -- my friends who were out of work, and her friends who out of work. Then I left.

She told me I'd be getting a letter about the move and layoffs, once they were public knowledge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home