Thursday, September 17, 2009

Walk

I went to the main library in downtown St. Paul today. It was closed for (a sign on the door said) a customer service day. I then thought briefly of going to the Science Museum, which is right next door. But it was closed also. I don't know why.

Finally I went to a coffee shop down by the river and wrote. I especially like this shop because it has foot stools in the shape of bears. I like to settle down in an easy chair, rest my feet on a bear, drink coffee and read or write.

I'm working on several things right now. But today I worked on a new Lydia Duluth story. I think it may be okay.

I wrote for an hour, pencil on paper, with my Pink Pearl eraser next to me. Then I took a walk along the river. It used to be industrial, but has been redone. There's a bike path and a walking path, fountains and several metal sculptures of birds. I could not identify the birds. Maybe they are Platonic ideals of birds, rather than specific species, though one looked kind of like an eagle and another was maybe a pelican.

The walk has plantings: small trees and bushes, flowers in flowerbeds and hanging pots. A railing goes along the river and keeps you from falling in. Feral sunflowers grow on the other side of the railing, on the slope going down toward the river.

The area is still partly industrial. There is a railroad line running parallel to the walk. Three engines passed me, all linked together and painted maroon and gold: the Twin Cities and Western Railroad, wearing the U of M colors.

Four tow boats were docked at Lambert's Landing. These are are big guys that push rafts of barges up and down the Mississippi.

It's the first time this summer I have seen big tows. I assume traffic is slow on the river, as it is on the Great Lakes and the world's oceans.

Anyway, a pleasant walk, though a bit too warm.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Actually, the riverfront is a LOT more industrial if you head east on Warner Rd. (That would be a "left" under the Jackson St bridge.) The "west" side of the river is home to Upper River Services, the Pier Foundry, the Pioneer Press, and about a billion barges.
And, it's less crowded. But you'll walk a LONG way for a cup of coffee....

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home